C2 Strategic Communications is seeking a staff strategist to join a growing firm with operations in Louisville and Indianapolis. The ideal candidate will have a passion for storytelling and enjoy working in a collaborative, creative environment. This position may be based in the Louisville or Indianapolis office.
The staff strategist assists senior strategists and C2 officers in producing client deliverables, managing work flow, and identifying opportunities to enhance a client’s experience. The ideal candidate will be as adept at developing communications strategies and plans as executing individual tasks.
Successful staff strategists are proactive, curious, unafraid to ask questions, and can work comfortably alone or in a small group. Expertise in certain sectors (construction, health care, government, transportation) is a plus; so is demonstrated excellence in a communications sub-discipline (social media management, search engine optimization, digital marketing, etc.).
Strategists must be critical thinkers and strong writers with good time management skills. Staff strategists may manage small and mid-sized projects or contracts as a path to professional growth and advancement at C2.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Help develop and implement communications plans, including objectives, strategies, tactics and budgets to meet client needs and reach target audiences
• Identify key deliverables and manage the process to achieve them, using exceptional organizational and relationship skills
• Manage time effectively and efficiently and meet work deadlines
• Develop and write news releases, newsletters, web content, speeches, talking points, presentations, other collateral marketing materials, social media posts, proposals, etc.
• Plan and organize media availabilities, news conferences, public meetings and professional conferences
• Produce monthly performance reports for clients
• Manage social media accounts
• Collaborate with other staff members to sharpen deliverables and identify new client strategies
• Stay abreast of emerging technology and communications trends and recognize opportunities to apply them to meet client needs
• Assist with business development: direct pitches, proposal writing, presentations, etc.
• Participate in annual strategic planning for the company
• Track weekly hours worked and reimbursable expenses incurred on a timely basis for effective project management and timely billing
• Perform other duties as assigned by management
• Strong written and oral communications skills – in particular, the ability to write descriptively and quickly, in a tone that matches client needs – is paramount
• Attention to detail and accuracy
• Ability to interact with and gain the trust of current and prospective clients
• Ability to think strategically and creatively
• Ability to proactively solve problems
• Adept at collaborating, multi-tasking and meeting deadlines
• Experience in communicating with media and the public
• Ability to plan events, news conferences and public meetings
• Competent in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook
• Experienced using social-media platforms such as LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to engage targeted audiences
• Working knowledge of MailChimp and/or Constant Contact to produce newsletters
• Experience using Cision or other media-monitoring service
• Experience using content-management systems such as WordPress
• Experience using Adobe Creative products: Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere, and/or Illustrator
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or public relations
• Three to five years of progressively responsible experience in the communications field, especially in an agency or corporate setting
• Preferred: experience working in print/broadcast/digital media and/or with media relations
Normal office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., with an hour for lunch, Monday through Friday. Employees often work off-site, either at a client’s office or event. Reliable transportation is required. Occasionally, night and weekend hours might be required. Overnight travel is minimal.
Reports to: C2 Management
How to Apply
Applicants must supply:
1. A cover letter explaining your most recent communications project
3. At least two writing samples
4. Client case study if available
Interested applicants should send all items to: firstname.lastname@example.org.