Job Description: Staff Strategist
Applicants must supply:
1. A cover letter explaining your most recent communications project
3. At least two writing samples
4. Client case study if available
The staff strategist assists senior strategists and C2 officers in producing client deliverables, managing work flow, and identifying opportunities to enhance a client’s experience. The ideal candidate will be as adept at developing communications strategies and plans as she is at executing individual tasks.
Successful staff strategists are proactive, curious, unafraid to ask questions, and can work comfortably alone or in a small group. Expertise in certain industries (construction, health care, transportation) is a plus; so is demonstrated excellence in a communications sub-discipline (search engine optimization, podcasts, digital advertising, etc.). Strategists must be critical thinkers and strong writers with good time management skills.
Staff strategists may manage smaller projects or contracts as a path to professional growth and advancement at C2.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Develop and implement communications plans, including objectives, strategies, tactics and budgets to meet client needs and reach target audiences
- Identify key deliverables and manage the process to achieve them, using exceptional organizational and relationship skills
- Manage time effectively and efficiently to stay on budget according to terms of client contract
- Develop and write news releases, newsletters, web content, speeches, talking points, presentations, other collateral marketing materials, social media posts, proposals, etc.
- Plan media availabilities, news conferences, public meetings and professional conferences
- Identify and integrate news communications capabilities and solutions
- Collaborate with other staff members to sharpen deliverables and identify new client strategies
- Stay abreast of emerging technology and recognize opportunities to apply the technology to meet client needs
- Assist with business development: direct pitches, proposal writing, presentations, etc.
- Participate in annual strategic planning for the company
- Enter hours worked and reimbursable expenses incurred on a timely basis for effective project management and timely billing
- Perform other duties as assigned by management
- Strong written and oral communications skills – in particular, the ability to write descriptively and quickly, in a tone that matches client needs, is paramount
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to interact with and gain the trust of current and prospective clients
- Ability to think strategically and creatively
- Proactive problem solver
- Adept at collaborating, multi-tasking and meeting deadlines
- Experience in communicating with media and the public
- Adept at event planning, from news conferences to public meetings
- Competent in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook
- Competent in basic website content management in WordPress, Squarespace or similar
- Competent in multiple social media platforms
- Working knowledge of MailChimp, Constant Contact, Cision or other media monitoring services; WordPress, PhotoShop, InDesign and/or Illustrator
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or public relations
- Three to five years of progressively responsible experience in the communications field, especially in an agency or corporate setting
- Preferred: experience working in print/broadcast/digital media and/or with media relations
Normal office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., with an hour for lunch, Monday through Friday. Employees often work off-site, either at a client’s office or event. Reliable transportation is required. Occasionally, night and weekend hours might be required. Overnight travel is minimal.
Reports to: President and executive vice president
Send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.